Monday, November 14, 2016

Pew!

It's been a while.

Both for a post from me and for a "real" attack. Hopefully my posts don't stink, but the vertigo still does.

Honestly, I could argue that is had been almost 3 years since I had a legitimate Meniere's related attack.

Notice I said had been?

The last full-blown attack I can completely attribute to Meniere's occurred in January or February of 2014. Sadly, I also have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV), the one that involves the crystals in the ear becoming dislocated and causing vertigo based on movement. Yeah, I should really consider playing the lottery. There may be an argument to be made that most of my issues since 2014 have been related more to the BPPV than Meniere's. There is a difference, both in how the vertigo appears and its intensity. With BPPV you do not experience the headache and exhaustion following the vertigo, at least I don't. The thing with BPPV is it has to be caused by movement. Meniere's, not so much.

As someone who lives with a chronic condition, you become aware of how things feel. You notice little symptoms before they become big ones. For some time now, I have been noticing my right ear is fuller. more pressure. It enters your mind, but you hope it isn't the start of something. With this, you never know, and for almost three years, the pressure has built and fallen without any significance.

That ended today.

Well, really, I wonder if it ended yesterday.

Saturday night, my siblings and I took my parents out for an early anniversary supper. I am pretty careful about my diet, but you get lax. I should have asked for my meal to be prepared low sodium, but I didn't. I have no idea what the content was. I also had 1 glass of wine, which for me is beyond rare. I don't like wine, I don't drink more than 1 drink every other month, on average. But this wine was pretty good, and it wasn't a big glass either. Sunday we stopped at my parents house to visit with a couple of my siblings before they headed back home and I needed to relieve myself. I walked into the door frame. It most definitely was not a good balance day, but that was the worst of it. I was tired early, but otherwise it was a decent day.

I slept like a rock, but was ready to go this morning. As I was driving my kids to school, out of nowhere, the road flipped-----twice. When I say flipped, I mean instead of it below me, it was above. At least that is what my brain thought. I began to pull off the road in case more was coming, but all that came was the headache. Major headache. 6 hours later I still had it, and I had taken something for it.

So, instead of a productive day, I got to nap for almost 2 hours this morning and then go through some errands with the typical Meniere's hangover.

Meniere's still stinks. I hope this post doesn't.

'til next time

Dennis

Just a guy trying to live with an invisible, potentially debilitating illness

1 comment:

  1. The following I write in hopes that it will help somebody else with Menieres Disease. I have been on a journey for 18 years trying to figure out how to deal with this debilitating disease. I totally relate to the issues that everybody posts as I’ve been there a long time. I’ve tried drugs, natural products, acupuncture, meditation, with none of those helping me at all. So long story short, here is what I have found works for me, to be symptom free and eating tasty foods and even cheat sometimes on saltier foods. Let it be noted that I waited to write this post until I had gone over one year with no Menieres attacks or symptoms. If I do eat saltier food, I will drink more water to help flush it through my system. What I finally decided to do was attack the disease nutritionally, which I had not totally dedicated my efforts towards during that 18 year period. Following is the list of supplements I take everyday (and if I miss a day, I’ve still been ok). Note the first two supplements are the most important and had the biggest effect on me not having anymore Menieres attacks or symptoms: 5000mg of Vit D3, 400mg of Chelated Magnesium, 1200mg of fish oil-twice a day, Vit C-500mg with Citrus Bioflavonoids-400mg+55mg Calcium—2 times per day, and Vit B12-1000mcg. I am currently 60 yrs old and also workout and do stretches, which I’ve done all along even when I was having attacks. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll be happy to answer. Hope this information can help somebody improve their situation. Jeff

    ReplyDelete